On Wednesday 30 April 2008, Stephen Wille Padnos wrote:
>There are two drivers, one for the AX5214 and one for the Futurlec
>PCI8255 card.
>They are called hal_ax5214h and pci_8255, respectively.
>The pci_8255 driver has been included with EMC2 since 2.2.0, the ax5214
>driver has been there since before the 2.0.0 release.

TBT Steve, I no longer have the cards, so I never looked.  My bad.

>For either card, you have to supply the base address to the driver,
>along with a string describing the directions you want the pins to be.
>
>AFAIK, the pci_8255 card has a single chip with the PCI bridge and the
>equivalent of 3 8255 chips in it.
>
>The PCI card should be seen and initialized by the BIOS or Linux.
>Usually there's a BIOS setting for "plug-n-play OS" or similar.  Setting
>this to "no" or "off" makes the BIOS do more initialization than it
>would otherwise do, so even if Linux doesn't know what the card is, it
>should at least have its memory and IO regions set up correctly.

I wasn't aware that it could be turned off and still boot.  I'll have to check
that on my box next week, thanks.

>The
>Linux kernel does this pretty well anyway - it'll just list unknown
>cards as "unknown vendor" / "unknown device" or similar, but should
>still set up address regions for those cards.  (I know it does this with
>the Mesa cards, for example)

At the time, booting bdi-4.3something, there was zero mention of any such
devices in the dmesg or lspci outputs.  Completely invisible until you found
its magic address and tickled it.

The cards I had, were a slightly earlier version that had the 82c55 chips
mounted vertically, with the 34 pin headers also vertical, and all the cables
could be simply taken directly out a missing card cover opening on the back.
Now the 34 pin headers are along the top edge of the card & must be folded to
point them out of the back of the box.  Much messier IMO.  If you poke around
on that site, there is a pix of the cards I had, but the link to the full
page then has the newer card in its pix.

>There are only minor differences between the two drivers, but one or the
>other should work with just about any 8255-based card (or register
>compatible ones) with minor changes.
>
>- Steve

Thanks Steve, here I had thought this card had fallen off the table and been
swept up with the garbage.

--
Cheers, Gene
"There was a point to this story, but it has temporarily

- This line perhaps best sums up the whole book.