On Wednesday 30 April 2008, sam sokolik wrote:
>There is an issue with the pci_8255 driver at the moment.  If any of the
>pins are set to inputs - it will hardlock the computer after a certain
>amount of time.  (not really sure as I have not looked at it for a few
>weeks iirc it seems to be dependent on how many times the input gets
>switched.)  This is something known to the developers and when they get
>a chance they will fix it.  I am sure it will be fixed soon.
>
>sam

That chip generates an IRQ for any input status change, and if there is not a
registered IRQ handler, boom!  I recall that back in the 80's when I used one
of them to build an eprom programmer.  At the time I was driving it with a
z-80, a dain bramaged chip IMO.  The IRQ handler turned out to be very
simple, read the register & throw it away.  I was using all bit lines, but
apparently there was a small glitch in the write to verify read switching
that triggered it.  That read was garbage, the next one 2 u-s later was good.

>Thomas J Powderly wrote:
>> Gene,
>> nothing written by me
>> Jepler (?) wrote pci_8255.c
>> its from cvs
>> some info here
>> http://emergent.unpythonic.net/01165433819
>>
>> hal_ax5214 is from the live cd
>> John Kasunich wrote that
>>
>> regards
>> tomp
>> ---snip----

>>> Great Thomas.  Is this code you did, or were you able to make the code
>>> that came on the cd's with the cards actually build on linux?

Cheers, Gene
You will be imprisoned for contributing your time and skill to a bank robbery.