There are two drivers, one for the AX5214 and one for the Futurlec
PCI8255 card.
They are called hal_ax5214h and pci_8255, respectively.
The pci_8255 driver has been included with EMC2 since 2.2.0, the ax5214
driver has been there since before the 2.0.0 release.

For either card, you have to supply the base address to the driver,
along with a string describing the directions you want the pins to be.

AFAIK, the pci_8255 card has a single chip with the PCI bridge and the
equivalent of 3 8255 chips in it.

The PCI card should be seen and initialized by the BIOS or Linux.
Usually there's a BIOS setting for "plug-n-play OS" or similar.  Setting
this to "no" or "off" makes the BIOS do more initialization than it
would otherwise do, so even if Linux doesn't know what the card is, it
should at least have its memory and IO regions set up correctly.  The
Linux kernel does this pretty well anyway - it'll just list unknown
cards as "unknown vendor" / "unknown device" or similar, but should
still set up address regions for those cards.  (I know it does this with
the Mesa cards, for example)

There are only minor differences between the two drivers, but one or the
other should work with just about any 8255-based card (or register
compatible ones) with minor changes.

- Steve