Dave wrote:
> I'm not sure how long NAMES has been around, but I grew up west of
> Detroit in Livonia and way back when in the 70's my Dad, a retired
> machine shop teacher, took me to a model show that was very much like
> the NAMES show.  But I could have sworn that it was in Farmington Hills
> or some other place on the north or northwest side of Detroit.  Perhaps
> it was the Detroit Light Guard Armory on 8 mile.   I should ask him
> where we went, as he probably still remembers.
>
> The idea of having a model show on plywood over ice seems like a really
> bad idea.    Southgate on Ice would probably be my last choice for a
> modeling show location.   There is a lot of empty space (factories,
> large ex:retail store locations )    in and around Detroit without
> having to resorting to using an ice arena!

Well, Southgate has insurance, fire protection, good lighting (I don't
know how they played
hockey in the Yack arena, unless they were too cheap to turn on the BIG
lights for NAMES)
a parking lot (that isn't big enough) good electrical service,
relatively few entrances/exits so they
can make sure people have to pay to get in, bathrooms and a kitchen for
concessions.
I can see all of those things could be a real problem if you try to
activate some empty space
for a 2-day show.

The first two shows, in 1990 and '91, were at one of the founder's
brother's farm in Ann Arbor.  Then they moved to the
Yack arena in Wyandotte, last time I was there (2001) it looked like
Hirosima after the A-bomb.
So if this was in the '70s, it was before NAMES
was organized.  But, it was very likely to be many of the same folks.

Anyway, an official writeup on EARLY NAMES history is at
http://www.modelengineeringsoc.com/Docs/History.pdf

Jon