On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 9:40 PM, Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com> wrote:

>  The problem is Gordon Moore's law has finally  expired (long live Gordon
> Moore!)  Notice that CPU speeds (about 3 GHz)
> have totally flattened out after 3 decades of continuous increase.  Speeds
> have not increased
> at all in the last 5 years or so.  Only some major technical grand slam
> that completely breaks the current
> transistor architecture  will get us past this wall.  Some things can be
> parallelized, and some
> can't, so more cores is not  the overall solution.  We have gone through
> pretty much two full "nodes"
> of feature size shrink,  but speeds have not gone up, just how many cores
> can be put on a chip.

Moore's law is alive, it's just that it didn't promise increased speed---the
original formulation was that
the number of transistors on a chip doubles every 18 months. This was
accomplished by shrinking the
on-chip feature size, which allowed increased switching speed and decreased
power consumption, and also
enabled speedups via complexity: pipelines, superscalar/out-of-order
execution, etc, etc. The recent
clock speed plateau notwithstanding, the number of transistors keeps
increasing.