Stuart Stevenson wrote:

> My first thought was to control the spindle with the MPG and have the Z (or
> other linear axis) scaled to the correct feedrate. With the MPG controlling
> the spindle the reversal should not need to be as abrupt.

You can make the spindle reversal as smooth as you like, as long as
there is a DAC output
from EMC2 to control the spindle drive.  You put a filter component
(either lowpass or
limit) between the commanded spindle speed (which changes abruptly) and
the velocity
input to the VFD.  This works great.  See
http://pico-systems.com/codes/jebport/ppmc_motion.hal

but mostly it looks like this :

# set up 4th DAC generator as a spindle speed control
newsig spindle-speed float
newsig spindle-DAC-cmd float
newsig spindle-DAC-filt float
newsig spindle-DAC-abs float
linkps motion.spindle-speed-out => spindle-speed
linksp spindle-speed => mult2.1.in0
setp   mult2.1.in1 0.002457
linkps mult2.1.out => spindle-DAC-cmd
linksp spindle-DAC-cmd => lowpass.0.in
linkps lowpass.0.out => spindle-DAC-filt
setp lowpass.0.gain 0.005
linksp spindle-DAC-filt => abs.0.in
linksp spindle-DAC-abs => abs.0.out
linksp spindle-DAC-abs => ppmc.0.DAC.03.value

This uses the old hal syntax.  I feed the absolute of the filtered speed command
to the drive as this one expects only 0-10 V magnitude on the speed input.
Hmmm, still seems like the forward/reverse relays would flip immediately and
not wait for the analog output to ramp down, but it seems to work on my drive.
Maybe it ignores the direction reversal until the speed command has ramped down.
I used lowpass as I was familiar with it.  limit would be smoother, with a
constant
rate of accel/decel.

Jon