Gentlemen,
  A little progress on the handwheel tapping project.
  The spindle motor encoder has pulses of 7200 per revolution in low gear.
This gives 20 pulses per degree. Not enough to be a real C axis. The number
of pulses may be limited by the spindle drive so I may try to tap into the
sign wave feedback from the spindle motor. There are two sign wave signals
from the spindle motor to the spindle drive. I have not looked at these with
a dual trace scope to determine their orientation to one another. Jon E -
will this allow use of your resolver to encoder converter board?
  I have it tuned per revolution rather than per degree.
  I have the max velocity set to 5. This should allows 300 rpm max. with the
handwheel. A fast/tiring spin with your hand. Slower may just be better.
  I have the accel set to 2. This allows a lot of Pgain. The spindle holds
position VERY tight like this. I may go back to the XYZ to try tuning with
this method. I like the halscope traces for the spindle better than for the
XYZ.
  I have not tried to home the C axis. I do have an index pulse from the
spindle. This will allow the orientation of the spindle to the encoder after
every gear change. I have not tried to use the index to orient the spindle
to the encoder.
  I had just accomplished the spindle tuning as explained when the shop said
'Is this ready? We have a job for it'. This will go to weekend project
status now. This may be of interest to someone during our meet here. I will
continue to work on this but I am sure I won't be complete by then.
  I need to determine how to set up the MPG tapping cycle. How do I set the
feed/rev ratio? What kind of screen feedback? etc?
  The most important finding is the ultimate usefulness of tapping this way.
It seems novel but is it a useful tool? Putting it on the Cinci or Viper for
5 axis MPG tapping would be killer!
  Ken Lerman - thanks for the link - I have some AB encoders that look as if
they are steppers. These may be exactly what I need. I think detenting
MPG/steppers would give a very good tactile feedback to a hand. As the
current in the motor increases the detent resistance increases. This should
be very interesting.
thanks
Stuart

dos centavos