Hi Stuart,

If you are going to do some computer assisted hand tapping, you might
want to add some haptic feedback. If you measure the spindle current and
use that as a measure of load, you could drive a small servo connected
to the mpg and use it as a brake. If you make the braking force
proportional to the spindle load, that might let you "feel" when the tap
gets dull or jams on chips.

Regards,

Ken