On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 08:55:52AM -0800, Kirk Wallace wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-11-08 at 10:30 +0000, Andy Pugh wrote:
> > On 8 November 2010 01:16, Chris Radek <ch...@timeguy.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Jon, I have those same resolvers and I use your resolver converter
> > > board.  I am pretty sure there are two indexes per revolution.  The
> > > gearing is 1:1 so I don't think the original spindle resolver can be
> > > used this way.
> >
> > That sounds like a fairly simple thing to fix with a bit of HAL
> > though. A flip-flop based frequency divider maybe?
>
> It seems to me, making sure the flip-flop keyed on the same location of
> the spindle, regardless of powering off or resets, might be a problem. I
> would consider adding (anding, A & B) a Hall sensor (oil resistant, but
> may not be fast enough) or opto-interrupter to the spindle shaft to
> latch onto a single index.
>
> Or, I suppose one could home the flip-flop on power-up.

Index is tricky.  With hardware assisted encoder counting like ppmc,
HAL doesn't have the index directly.  EMC can only tell at servo cycle
time that the index happened some time since the last servo cycle, and
the new count that is a result of the reset to zero at the index plus
whatever additional motion has happened since then.

Some mesa firmwares have an index mask ability that you could use to
select one of the two indexes by having a sensor that is true for one
and false for the other.  I use index mask on my HNC because there are
many (10? 12?) indexes per ballscrew revolution.  A prox selects just
one of them.

If you don't have index mask in your firmware, your alternative would
be to mask it yourself _in hardware_ before it gets to the encoder
counter.  I'm pretty sure this is something you just can't handle in
HAL.

Chris