Kirk Wallace wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-12-11 at 12:28 -0500, John Kasunich wrote:
>
> Sorry to be so chatty, but...
>
> ... snip
>
>> But if the cylinder is too small, pumped too slowly, or the leak
>> is too big, then the pumping might not be able to keep up with
>> the leak.  In that case, make the leak smaller or pump faster if
>> you can.  Making the pump cylinder bigger should be the last resort.
>>
>> Note that if you make the leak too small, then it will take a long
>> time for the bucket to empty when you stop pumping.  It's all about
>> the tradeoffs...
>>
>> John Kasunich
>>
> I have been limiting myself to dealing with the 1kHz signal because it
> is a common servo-period frequency and if one doesn't have a base
> thread, a base thread would need to be added just for the charge pump.
> But, that may be a reasonable requirement.

I don't think this is a concern.  People who have hardware that removes
the need for a base thread very likely also have a watchdog feature in
their hardware.  I know the Mesa and Pico products do, and I believe the
Pluto does as well.  (I'm not sure about Motenc and STG)

The only real audience for this circuit is people who use simple I/O,
such as a parallel port or 8255-based card, with software step/PWM
generation.

- Steve