On Sun, 2010-12-12 at 18:08 +1100, Erik Christiansen wrote:
... snip
> there is much greater risk of slightly
> different input thresholds causing the outputs to contest, thereby
> trying to short +5v to ground, when the input is slowly changing.
> (Counted in nanoseconds)
>
> There is then a lot to be said for removing IC1C, so the slow input is
> discriminated only once. If pins 1 & 3 are then connected, any small
> same-chip threshold variation will have negligible effect, because here
> the input flank is rather vertical.

Dooh, of course. I'll make the change.
http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/EMC2/Charge%20Pump/chpmp-5c.png

> > I need to add a voltage regulator and filter caps, but there is no magic
> > there. I've noticed Matt's circuit is leaner because it doesn't need
> > one. My circuit might be improved with some I/O protection, but that
> > will make it more complex.
>
> For just one 74HC14, a resistor and 5.1v zener diode will do.

I'm used to a Zener on a gate input to limit the input voltage, but the
circuit input is an opto-isolator which is not so delicate. I noticed an
"extra" diode on my Bandit drivers opto's. My guess is that the opto
diode has a lower reverse break-down voltage and the additional diode
shores it up? I'm concerned about the buffer output, which could have a
pull-up, pull-down, and or current limit resistor. I suppose a Zener on
the output could help with over-voltage or reverse voltage, but the
buffer is supposed to be driving an input not a source, but an inductive
load could be a source, but... I usually put off the output components
until I know what I'm going to hook it up to. Though, this doesn't help
in coming up with a more generic consumer grade product.

> > I've ordered some 74HC14's in order to build my latest try, but I'm
> > getting the itch to move on.
>
> A bigger ratio between C1 and C2 would make it easier to reject a single
> input spike. But I can understand the attraction of seeing what the
> laternatives can do.
>
> Erik

The present C1/C2 ratio seemed to give the best compromise, but with
adding the 74HC14 and probing the buffer output instead of C2 may change
that. I'll order a range of caps to play with.

Thanks again. I'll post the results of testing, but it may be a while. I
hope I'll remember all this, I'd like to do a write-up for the wiki if
it isn't already there.
--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html