On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 13:23:06 -0500, you wrote:

>I just included it in the Wiki.   I was going to do this a while ago ...
>but like other things..
>
>Here is the link:
>http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ManualToolChangeMacro
>
>I included it on the main wiki page - look for "tool change"
>
>I believe this is accurate.  Several people have used, or actively use
>this, and I haven't heard of any issues with it.
>I have not used it myself yet.  But I could see where it could be very
>useful in certain circumstances.

It's absolutely necessary if you use tools in a collet where you can't
guarantee the tool length will be the same each time you load it - makes
the tool table useless.

Other alternative is a separate file per tool which is a very poor
solution.

Or the smart arse answer given was "build an active tool length sensor
and probe it"...

Steve Blackmore