I think this is a fairly common problem.  There are a number Gcode
generators out there that take curvy cutting patterns and turn
them into huge files full of short G1 moves.  The Gcode generator people
expect the machine controller to gobble up the crappy G code and create
smooth motions at high speeds.

The one commercial application I ran into was for a vinyl cutter for
sign making applications.   They wanted to run at 1000 ipm while
processing Gcode with segment lengths of a couple of thousands of an inch.
It was crazy.   Needless to say, a solution was never found.  And their
machines are still running slowly (the last I heard) due to the poor
quality Gcode.

Dave