I agree that there are always cases where curve fitting simply doesn't
work.  But I have seen some large curvy lines in a single plane that
could have been curve fitted, that spanned over several feet of distance
that were described as G1 segments that were no more than .005 inches long.
That is simply bad Gcode.

Dave