2012/4/19 Les Newell <les.new...@fastmail.co.uk>:
> The big problem is that very often the curves in the drawing are not
> true arcs. This is especially common in artistic and sign work. The
> quality of the CAM output is directly dependent on the quality of the
> input drawing. Drawings that contains just arcs and lines will generate
> nice clean code. Drawings with lots of splines and other curves will
> always generate big code. Some CAM packages try to do arc fitting on
> curves but technically this is just as bad as breaking them up into
> lines. You are compromising the accuracy of the final code.

Ok, I agree to these arguments.
Les, Your company is providing a CAM application. Have You considered
implementing Nurbs for all the splines and other nasty geometry, that
cannot be described by arcs? LinuxCNC has support for Nurbs (but I
guess that Mach users might be Your biggest audience and I guess that
Mach is not even close to accepting Nurbs code).

Viesturs