On Saturday 13 April 2013 00:13:15 Jon Elson did opine:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I don't have that on the mill, very limited space to install, and a
> > very dirty environment inside the gear case.  Lots of flying grease.
> > Which doesn't help, and may hinder because grease deteriorates some
> > plastics, I've lost the hubs out of 2 of those "nylon" gears now.
> >
> > Just one of the reasons why that mill may yet get replaced to a
> > grizzly go704.
>
> Well, I used some gear tooth sensors that are made to go inside a
> car transmission, so they are heat and lube-resistant.  Of course,
> they need ferrous gears.

Of which, this toy has none.  All nylon.  For your encoder hanging
outboard, is is a problem to access the drawbolt for tool changing?

> On my mini-mill, I mounted the spindle
> encoder outside the head, see the last picture here :
> http://pico-systems.com/minimill.html
>
> As for the Bridgeport encoder contraption, see
> http://pico-systems.com/bridge_spindle.html
> for a description of the gear tooth sensors and how I installed
> them.
>
> Jon

Cheers, Gene
My views
tmps_base = tmps_max;                /* protect our mortal string */
                -- Larry Wall in stab.c from the perl source code
dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million
          law-abiding citizens.