On Saturday 13 April 2013 09:59:47 andy pugh did opine:

> On 13 April 2013 04:11, Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com> wrote:
> > On my mini-mill, I mounted the spindle
> > encoder outside the head, see the last picture here :
> > http://pico-systems.com/minimill.html
>
> An alternative:
> https://plus.google.com/photos/108164504656404380542/albums/574772215574
> 1347649/5866287005551819154?banner=pwa

The bearing nut that is retaining that disk in the same manner I did use to
put one on the lathe, is below those nylon gears in the micro head.  The
amount of shaft sticking up isn't sufficient to allow anything above it.
The draw bolts shoulder bottom is actually about 3/16" below the top of the
gearbox cover.

The nose of the spindle sticking out of the bottom is only a fat CM long,
and has the 6mm hole pair for sticking a tommy bar in to hold it while the
draw bolt is tightened or loosened in it, so theres little if any usable
room there either.  All of the ~10 CM above the spindles top bearing is
occupied by the two drive gears, and the shift gears on their countershaft
occupy the space between them.

About the only way would be an extension, pin locked to the spindle, to
bring it above the upper cover.

That would involve making new draw bolts another inch longer.  Which
wouldn't be a bad idea as the #2 collets I have now are bored an oversized
3/8-18, and the bolt I got from Chris that fits them, is probably a good 10
thou undersized.  I am amazed that I haven't stripped the 1/4 collet, its
very poorly fitted and to reliably hold a 1/4 mill, it has to be pulled at
least 3/4 turn past "tight".  The only OEM #2 spud that actually "fits"
that spindle is the one on the drill chuck that came with it.  That uses
the OEM metric draw bolt, which goes from loose to plenty tight in about 30
degrees rotation of the draw bolt.  IOW, all of the US made after-market
stuff is very sloppily built.  But if tightened enough, it gets the job
done.

All the more reason to go get a G0704.  I've put enough sheckles in this
sows ear of a mill.

Cheers, Gene
My views
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.
                -- Jayne Mansfield
dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million
          law-abiding citizens.