Jon,

<sarcasm>
Well just get a generator working off a Hot-Cat
(http://ecatreport.com/e-cat/no-hot-cat-progress-with-thermoelectric-process
-yet) and for extra credit, drop the engine, drive train and cooling system
in favor of Hub Motors
(http://kellycontroller.com/car-hub-motor-72v-7kw-p-465.html). Then you
ought to be a to go at least 6 months without a fill-up.

Should be able to do that in a weekend.
</sarcasm>

Regards,
Eric

Well, this is pretty off-topic, except that these machines are basically big
servo motors and drives.  I have a Honda Civic hybrid and have driven it for
about 4 years.  I just had to have the hybrid battery replaced at Honda's
cost this winter.  I get 49 MPG in the winter and hot summer, and am getting
57 MPG right now, in mixed city/highway driving.  I fill the gas tank a bit
more than once a month!

I could actually use an all-electric for all this, but then I'm going to
Wichita in June, so an all-electric might be less optimal for that trip.

(I did build an all-electric VW Beetle hack job in 1985 or so, and it ran
remarkably well.  The body was full of big holes, though.)