On 8/10/2013 5:42 PM, andy pugh wrote:
> On 10 August 2013 22:34, Kent A. Reed <kentallanr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I suspect that it could be expanded to 9 axes with just copy and
>>> paste, it is just a single FORTRAN++ file :-)
>
>> Funny, it's a single C++ file on my machine.
>
> Sorry, that was an attempt at programmer humour. Like lot of the C++
> files in LinuxCNC is is in C++ syntax but is written very much in the
> style of FORTRAN.

I got the humor (although it's been a while since I wrote FORTRAN, and I
never wrote in FORTRAN++ :) , and yes, it does look like it could be
fixed up with a simple cut and paste.  Even I can manage to understand
this "gui" C code!

I may make a 3D version of keystick just to have something light-weight
to print with, but the more I think about it (and the more I dig around
in the interpreter/motion interface), the more I think I should just tie
a pipe straight between the (stupid simplistic 3D printer GCode) and the
motion queue, basically going back to "drip feed" and using something
like octo-print to spool the data:

http://octoprint.org/

It's not a pretty solution, but it would make LCNC a lot more attractive
to a lot of main-stream 3D folks, silly as it might sound.

Yes, I'd be throwing away a lot of fancy gcode interpretation, but the
slicing programs only output G1 (and sometimes G0) moves anyway, with
the occasional G92 reset of the extruder axis to keep the numbers small.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net