John;

BP was pushing the edge with the 4200 rpm top speed. When you look up bearing
specs most consider 4000 rpm max continuous under load. If your head is truely
that noisy then something else isn't right - cutting air that machine should
just purr with the loudest noise being the motors fan.

My Hurco KM3P, a psydo BP type clone made in Spain by Kondia. Has a top speed
of 4000 and 3600-400 is considered RED Zone as in the don't recommend long term
use in these ranges. Like most in industry - if it isn't locked out - we are
going to use it - and we had jobs we ran at 4000rpm from 7am till 10pm daily
for weeks at a time. That spindle did not turn off or stop cutting the entire
day. We used 2 operators at a time, each would unload a finished part and
insert a freash one on there side of the machine table and the machine looped
back a and forth being unloaded on one end while cutting at the other.

Why did the Mfg limit the rpm - The mfg sure does not want to have a spindle
failure within the warranty period. If your a really hard nose - you can get
the terms added that the OEM will warrant the spindle for the duration of the
lease. I have done this on several machines and in 2 cases it saved a small
fortune.

Now back in the 80's era when my machine was designed they used the vari-drive
with a motor turning 1800 rpm. They used another small 3phase motor with a worm
drive reduction to adjust the vari-drive speed (cranking the handle so to
speak) and a special prox sensor to count the back gear teeth as a tach (much
like Jon E. did but without the quad) Mine is surprising accurate and will land
you within 7 rpm of the programed spindle speed cutting air. Once the speed is
set it does not monitor speed variations under load. Since you allready have
the VFD and encoder hooked up you could mount a stepper on standoffs to drive
the speed adjustment wheel.

Why do it this way - well, you stick with the existing motor running at its
rated RPM so it is at its best for cooling, and power output. Now you could use
the VFD to do minor "trim" adjustments with the feedback to compensate for load
but we are talking about maybe +/- 5Hz

My machine does what I call "nearly Rigid tapping". The tach senses the stop
and reversal of the spindle by timing of the teeth and I use a very limited
travel Bilz type tension/compression type holder ( I'm also running U200
tooling ).

Most of the good BP head conversions that replace the vari-drive with a fixed
ratio belt that I have seen bumped up the HP rating to a 5hp motor to have
excess cooling and to make up for torque loss ect. when running at the far ends
of the rpm ranges.