Hi Andy,
thanks for you comments.

> Alternatively the Pico PWM brushless servo amp only needs a single
> channel of PWM:
> http://www.pico-systems.com/acservo.html

Ah, I see that would make thinks much easier. And I'm not forced to use
the Beaglbone I could was well you a micro/nanoATX board and a MESA FPGA
card. I'm jut flowing the Beagelbone news with interest and one day I'd
like to use it - this might not be the right project.

> Any number of off-the-shelf drives from the likes of AMC are likely to
> be able to drive your motor
>
> Both the Pico and AMC drives are likely to need Hall sensors on the
> motor. If you need to you may be able to "fake" these with the bldc
> HAL component.

Oh, the motor has HAL sensors and 1000 CPR encoder and a 1:50 or so
gearbox.

>>  0. move to home position (0°)
>>  1. wait for low frequency trigger, a hardware or a software signal
>>  2. within say 10° accelerate and synchronises to the 50Hz trigger
>>     so that the 10° position is reached 20ms after the last trigger
>>     and at a given speed (specified in degree per trigger pulse,
>>     not in seconds as the pulse rate of the trigger may change slightly)
>>  3. keep on moving at the give speed (in sync with the trigger) for 100°
>>  4. decelerate an move to a safe position
>
> This sounds like fun.

Hmm, not sure if its fun for me... :-)

> It might "just work" with a G33 or G33.1 synchronised move,

Oh, good idea, instead of syncing to a spindle speed I use my scanner
signal. I'll think about it and see if I understand the idea and can map
my problem to rigid taping.

> or it might need an elaborate system of PIDs and PLLs.

This is what I am afraid of and is even more complicated than a PLL as
not only the phase (in this case speed) has to be correct but also a
position. Is there something like a PLL component in LinuxCNC

See you
Flo