On 02.04.15 15:48, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Oh wait, you will need to setup a mail server... Does gnipsel.com have
> a mail.gnipsel.com alias address registered?

$ host -t mx gnipsel.com
gnipsel.com mail is handled by 30 mx.gnipsel.com

> Something that can duplicate sendmail but is easier to configure?
> Postfix comes to mind as Jim has been looking into dumping qmail after
> about 16 years in favor of something that can make use of the rbl's
> available on the net, qmail doesn't support that as its so old. Some
> of them free, some have a low suscription by the year or similar.

Postfix is pretty simple to set up, and even has a sendmail
compatibility interface for us oldtimers. Just a day or two ago I
changed from ubuntu 10.04 to debian 7.8.0 on my desktop machine, and
installed the postfix package.

The package install throws up a curses semi-gui config interface which
asks a few questions, including a choice of 4 ways that you might be
connected to the network. Since I'm not permanently connected, I again
chose "Internet site with smarthost". (I.e. my ISP is my mail relay.)

Since I always forget to put my ISP's mailhost in square brackets at the
semi-gui stage, I run some tweaks as root afterwards. The following
collection have delivered the goods in the last three distro installs:
(Modified for gnipsel)

# postconf -ev relayhost=[mx.gnipsel.com]

When I've omitted the [], my mails have bounced, so I like the brackets.

# postconf -ev message_size_limit=25600000

My brother sometimes sends a 2 MB email. That lets 'em through.

# postconf -ev mailbox_command='/usr/bin/procmail -t -a $EXTENSION'

YMMV. I fetch mail with fetchmail, and use procmail to sort it into a
dozen or more incoming mailboxes, one per list. The default, examined
by:

$ postconf -n mailbox_command

omits the -t, which I like to have:

      -t    Make procmail fail softly, i.e., if procmail cannot deliver the mail
            to any of the destinations you gave, the mail will not bounce, but
            will return to the mailqueue.
            Another delivery-attempt will be made at some time in the future.

# postconf -ev smtp_generic_maps=hash:/etc/postfix/generic

# vim /etc/postfix/generic                # Any editor, to add one line:
  your_username your_email_address        # Insert your stuff there.

# postmap /etc/postfix/generic

# postfix reload

After that, my mail goes through fine.

If you have trouble, all non-default configs can be read with:

$ postconf -n

and posted here for closer scrutiny.

If using fetchmail to bring mail in from the ISP, then a ~/.fetchmailrc
makes that more comfortable. Grab the config tool too, to simplify
setup. The packages are:

$ apt-cache search fetchmailconf
fetchmail - SSL enabled POP3, APOP, IMAP mail gatherer/forwarder
fetchmailconf - fetchmail configurator

So, for a basic setup, there's not much to it.

Erik