Hi,

  A unipolar motor nameplate rating will be for half coil.

  If you use both coils of the phase (wired in series, with the center tap
insulated), then you want to run at about half the rated current (since
you have twice the number of wire turns).  This will give lower speed
performance due to the much higher inductance when compared to
half-coil.

  You will get better speed performance running the motors in half coil
(center tap and one end - the other end insulated) running at rated
current.

Jeff

Visit the Xylotex forum at:
http://www.xylotex.com/vanilla/