> > > I think your suggestion with the HAL/Arduino library will be the cheapest
> > > possible and more than good for this application, I will try it for sure!
> > > With some small tweaks it will be fine for a Mega board and I should have
> > > enough I/O.
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > /S

Profibus have a very common protocol for a long time, sometimes there are cheap
used IO modules available for sale and this is real professional stuff.
Currently however there is no support for profibus in linuxcnc but I have been
working on profibus for a short and plan to add it at soon as there is enough
time. Hopefully it will be soon I just had to learn Chinese and spent arund
three months on it the last year.