I have used a lot of Profibus devices. I used to work for Siemens.
Profibus is very robust if installed properly.    DP is the norm for
remote I/O.
PA is designed for the process industry and not nearly as common.

I always thought that a chip was needed for a DP master.    I don't
think a DP master device can be made via software and standard RS485
interface, but I could be wrong.

Dave

On 9/21/2015 11:03 AM, Karlsson & Wang wrote:
>> Gentlemen,
>> be careful with Profibus, there are different tastes of it. Especially
>> the one designed for building automation will not very well suit our
>> needs. But, certainly, this is highly professional technology, extremely
>> noise proof even at long distances of several hundred meters.
>> Peter
> I heard about DP and PA. I will implement the one used for Siements ET
> 200L-SC. I read somewhere about patent problems if implementing this kind of
> protocol but have also read something about an EU directive regarding
> software interoperability, anybode who know something?
>
> Regards Nicklas Karlsson

---