On Sunday 31 January 2016 13:43:50 Jon Elson wrote:

> On 01/31/2016 08:50 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > The cro-magnun filling the order has no clue about the care and
> > feeding of mosfet transistors, so the 10 pack I ordered were
> > arranged as 2 rows of 5, with the legs interdigitated, bound in
> > scotch tape as a slab to fit nicely in a China Post envelope.
>
> I can't imagine why you'd buy commodity semis from a Chinese
> source when there are great distributors like Digi-Key and
> Mouser, that are quite happy to serve small orders.  I buy
> lots of batches of 10 of some part when I'm not sure it will
> work for a particular application.  I can usually get my
> parts in 2-3 days.

Both of the above have minimum orders for me that are quite costly for a
10 pak of anything in the transistor 10 cent to 5 dollar price range.
That and their sites search engines return what looks to me to be random
from dice throws results.  If I go searching for small hexfets I get
20,000 hits, none of which give me the data to make a choice
semi-intelligently.  Digikey is slightly better, but not enough to spend
hours  wading thru the selections while still hiding the important data.
More often than not, clicking on a fine tune option, such as any case
smaller than a to-220 returns zero results and I know that there are
smaller versions such as could drive an ice cube relay at 12 or 24
volts.  That can be easily put in a to-92, or even in a SMD package, so
why can't it be found?

> (The only place Digi-Key annoys me is if I buy 50 or less
> FPGAs or CPLDs from them, they repackage them in strips of 5
> chips in tapes, rather than giving me the whole tape in one
> long strip.  These don't feed well in my pick and place
> machine.)
>
> Sometimes they also pile delicate components in an
> anti-static bag, and the leads get a bit bent up, but that
> is pretty rare.
>
> Jon

FATCare's the controller and motor, once wired up and powered up, runs
just fine.  I left it running, no load, at 12k revs (200 Hz) for about
20 minutes, might have warmed up the motor by 10F, tested the fwd/rev &
back, and other than the rate ramps being slow even set for 10 seconds,
OOB setting was 45 seconds, it Just Works(TM).  Even at 24k revs, the
noise level was quite a bit lower than I expected. Rotor balanceing is
excellent.

The booklet describes braking resistors and what terminals to wire them
to, but on opening up the rest of the front panel & removing the control
pcb, no hint of those named terminals could be found on the main board.
There is a place where a bigger, taller electrlytic cap could be
installed, but I get the impression its not needed when running on a 250
volt single phase circuit. I cleared the ebay ticket.