On 1/31/2016 6:51 PM, John Kasunich wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 31, 2016, at 06:18 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Sunday 31 January 2016 13:43:50 Jon Elson wrote:
>>
>>> I can't imagine why you'd buy commodity semis from a Chinese
>>> source when there are great distributors like Digi-Key and
>>> Mouser, that are quite happy to serve small orders.
>>>
>> Both of the above have minimum orders for me that are quite costly for a
>> 10 pak of anything in the transistor 10 cent to 5 dollar price range.
>> That and their sites search engines return what looks to me to be random
>> from dice throws results.  If I go searching for small hexfets I get
>> 20,000 hits, none of which give me the data to make a choice
>> semi-intelligently.  Digikey is slightly better, but not enough to spend
>> hours  wading thru the selections while still hiding the important data.
>> More often than not, clicking on a fine tune option, such as any case
>> smaller than a to-220 returns zero results and I know that there are
>> smaller versions such as could drive an ice cube relay at 12 or 24
>> volts.  That can be easily put in a to-92, or even in a SMD package, so
>> why can't it be found?
> I find this rather confusing.  Mouser is meh, but IMHO Digikey's search
> engine is simply outstanding.  For example:
>
> I type MOSFET into the search box.  It returns a list of categories.
> I pick "FETS - Single".  It returns a list of 39000+ parts.
> I click the "In stock" box and "apply filters".  List is now 17,999 parts.
> Scroll over to "Mounting Type", select "Thru hole" and apply filters.  3293
> parts.
> Scroll over to "Supplier Device Package" and select the four TO-92 variants
> (ctrl-click for multiple selections).  Apply filters, 123 parts.
> Under packaging, select "Bulk" and "Cut tape", (the other variants are for
> large quantities).  Apply filters, down to 106.
> Select 40 to 100V in the drain-to-source voltage box, down to 59.
> Select all the sub-1-ohm ones in the Rds-on box, down to 7.
> Put "1" in the desired quantity box.  Hit the up arrow in the price column
> to sort cheapest first (giving a quantity moves anything with a minimum
> order larger than that quantity items to the bottom of the list).
> Cheapest part is at the top of the list, MicroChip TN0604N3-G.  Click
> on the PDF icon in the 2nd column and I'm looking at a data sheet.
> Click on the links in the 4th or 5th column and I'm looking at the
> details page for that part.  Add 1 to cart.  Place order.  There is no
> minimum total order (although it sucks to spend $6 on shipping when
> you are ordering a $1 part).
>
> It took me less time to find that part than it took to type out what I did.
>
> Digikey is absolutely my first stop for just about any part, both for
> hobby stuff and for my day job.  Like McMaster, their prices may
> be a bit higher than some other sources, but usually not enough to
> matter, and the search engine more than makes up for it.
>
> John Kasunich
>
>    John Kasunich
> [...]
The other nice thing about Digikey is that they will ship a small order
via First Class mail (at least they used to do that..)

I've ordered a dozen chips for some project and the total has been
something like $9.00 plus $1.30 for postage and the parts show up two
days later in a first class envelope.

Whats not to like about that!

Dave