On Tuesday 13 September 2016 07:19:23 Erik Christiansen wrote:

> On 13.09.16 06:51, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > The ideal cable would be a star-quad that Clark Wire in windy
> > carried 20 years ago, it was 18 gauge in a mylar film covered in 68%
> > braided shield, very limp stuff. But Susan is not importing the
> > heavier gauges anymore, and its a piece of her 24 gauge thats
> > heating while driving the x motor on the little monster.  So as I
> > revive the little monster, some of that grey stuff will be used to
> > replace it.  But that drag chain has a much smaller turn around,
> > abusing that cable, so that will fail faster.  How fast remains TBD.
>
> Will TLM remain in use, or be decommissioned once the Sheldon flies?
> If the former, perhaps parallel two runs of the flexible stuff¹; if
> the latter, then either way works?
>
> Erik

I intend to keep it running once revived. The tapered gibs have restored
the accuracy to about a thou tolerance, at least a much as the worn z
ball screw can muster. Its starting to go because it has no swarf
shielding. If I replace that screw again, now I can find some rubber
bellows type boots to cover it with. I couldn't find anything but
satellite jack covers when I converted it, which are much too heavy and
couldn't be crushed enough to allow normal motions so they never got
installed. Now some of that stuff is showing up on fleabay. I am hoping
that the ones I have on a boat someplace, have a vent like the jack
covers have, else trapped air might be a problem. TBD.