Criterion boring bar with a square shank so it won't twist.

      From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
 To: Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC) <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
 Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2016 11:02 PM
 Subject: [Emc-users] Anybody have an idea how...

Greetings all;

I just had a heck of a day.  That round bar of alu fell out of my mailbox
the middle of the afternoon, so I thought I would get started on cutting
out that custom timing sprocket hub.  Sawed off the length I needed
(first cut on my repaired bandsaw, cut nice) and chucked it up on TLM.

Spying a well worn boreing bar about the right size in the stuff I got
with the Sheldon, I clamped it up good and tight in a tool holder &
adjusted everything to center it, started TLM at about 200 revs and
marched into the end face, intending to bore straight in to the depth it
would take to clear the nut on the near end of the X drive shaft.
Pecking by hand, I was getting a nice coil of alu cuttings for about the
first half inch, then it twisted itself out of the holder.  Repeat 3
more times.  Gotta be a better way, spied the little QC's boring bar
holder & moved the tool to it, tightening its clamp screws to about 1/8
turn from stripped.  Hung it up and spun it out of the holder, polishing
the but end of the bar rather nicely.  Repeat a couple times, with stops
in between to sharpen it with one of those 1.75" Dremel diamond wheels.
Same story, spun it in the holder 2 more times, gave up and put a 3/8
drill in the holder.  That worked for a starter hole and the bar then
ran in and tried to uniform the hole, looking decent but taking a much
wider chip after it got into the drilled portion.  So I think I can
write some code in the morning to finish those two bore jobs.

So what I am looking for is a bb holder that will work with the smallest
QC holder.  And will hold it solidly in the face of a 1 horse motor's
solid torque.

Ideas welcome.