Some of our folks built a metal kiln and we tried to melt some aluminum
swarf the neighboring metalshop discarded, at least what we thought was
aluminum (no confirmation, but it wasn't steel). We got almost no metal,
just inches of dross.  No inert gas or flux there, in fact the metal was
exposed to combustion gases.

Danny