On 15.10.16 22:44, Leonardo Marsaglia wrote:
> Yes the idea is to machine the four strips and then joing them strongly. To
> clamp the mold I was thinking about mechanical ways like eccentrics or may
> be screw clamps. That way I can hold the mold together when the injection
> takes place. I really don't worry about the time consumption on open the
> mold and close it again.

If joining by solvent is too weak or unsightly, have you considered "pvc
welding"?. I haven't used the process, but google offers myriad hits.
I've seen ΒΌ" thick PVC with a rippled joint looking much like a weld in
steel. It may have been done on both sides, though, for complete
penetration. (I don't recall.)

OK, if molten plastic injection into the joint were a viable option,
then the mould restraining force would be _much_ less than if moulding a
large flat object from scratch, but just clamping four sheets for
welding is orders of magnitude simpler & cheaper. I can't imagine that
plastic welding gear is in the same ballpark as injection moulding,

I suspect that molten filler material would need to be run straight from
nozzle to every point of joining, i.e. run a nozzle along the joint. If
injected at a central sprue, it would be too cold to melt the PVC strips
for adequate fusing. (But that is speculation.)