On 10/15/2016 5:12 PM, Leonardo Marsaglia wrote:
> Hello to all.
>
> I'm sure here I'm going to find good answers so I decided to start from
> here.
>
> I'm planning to do some thermoforming production work but the sheet plastic
> I need to use is rectangular with a rectangular hole in the middle (I
> attached a picture so you can see). So to use regular PVC sheet would imply
> a lot of waste.
>
> I came up with the idea of injecting the PVC using a manual clamped mould
> and injecting it with a screw driven piston. The difficult part comes here,
> I need to inject almost 3 kg of PVC. The moulds are going to be pretty
> simple as you can see but I would like to know if there's any good source
> to determine the approximate power I would need to drive the screw that
> moves the piston.
>
> There's the possibility of using two pistons one on each side to make
> things easier. Off course I would need to reduce the motors with worm and
> gear and then connect the gear to the screw that drives the piston. But my
> main concern is if this approach is correct or if I should forget about it.
>
> I didn't even consider the hydraulic pump because the cost would be a lot.
> Also take into account that I'm not intending to make lots of these
> injections per hour, so injection times could be slower than the industry
> standard.
>
> I hope I've been clear about my doubts and I would be thankful if you can
> point me to any source of info about this, or help me to be more sure about
> the dimensions of what I need to do.
>
> Thanks as always!

I would expect that the temperature  of both the material and the mold
will be important for the long thin shapes.  The viscosity will change
as the material cools running down long thin paths.

  It might be easier to extrude of cut the sides and heat bond them or
mold just the corner to bond the pieces.

craig