On Wed, 11 Jan 2017, Jon Elson wrote:

> Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 10:36:18 -0600
> From: Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com>
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Two questions.
>
> On 01/10/2017 10:45 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> Well, that's why we use hardware encoder counters, as
>>> sampling the quadrature at 1 KHz just isn't fast enough.
>>>
>>> Jon
>> Plz elucidate Jon. Something has got to be better than this. See the pix
>> I posted with the last reply to Peter & the list.  The top, white trace
>> in the halscope screen is the quadrature noise, easily 10x the timing
>> wibbles I see on the hitachi's screen.
>>

> If you are looking at the quadrature signals at a 1 KHz
> sampling rate, then unless the encoder is moving quite
> slowly, the sampling will be too coarse.  That screen shot
> is kind of small (you can take just a single window as the
> screenshot, by the way) but it looks like the duty cycle of
> the encoders is not 50%.  That may well be aliasing, as the
> quadrature signals seem to be moving much too close to 1000
> Hz.  You'd get much better results below 100 Hz.  Or, with
> Mesa hardware, you can sample these with the base thread.
>
> I can't comment on the velocity output from the Mesa, as I
> don't know their gear (or driver).  But, the scale is 2/div,
> meaning the scaled velocity output is jumping around 2 user
> units up and down at a KHz rate.  Clearly, not good.
>
> Jon

The velocity output is calculated by using the number of counts divided by the
time between the counts (time measured via a 1 MHz timestamp). If you have
less than 2 counts per servo period the velocity estimation accuracy depends
heavily the quadrature phase/symmetry since the edge spacing entirely
determines the estimated velocity at this speed range.

I suspect what Genes plot shows is that he has significant quadrature
phase/symmetry errors at the FPGA inputs.

Again here is a velocity plot of a accurate 100 Hz quadrature signal:

http://freeby.mesanet.com/100_Hz_quadrature_velocity.png

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)