On Thursday 12 January 2017 22:06:23 Gene Heskett wrote:

[snip pages of history]

> I have it running fairly noise free today, and had no such problems.
> However it appears that I may have blown the #0 stepgen, as data is
> going in, its enabled, but nothing is coming out of other either pin
> 1-1 (step) or pin 1-3 (dir). So I added another one in the config, and
> will re-configure the hal file to use it for the X axis. Where I'm
> working on the back side of this is just a hair crowded, and more than
> 10 times my clothing has rubbed on the 2" of blue styro glued to the
> inside of the garage door, giving be a weak, just enough to make me
> aware of it shock when I touched the machine for the first time after
> walking around to the back of it.

And in the middle of this, with the X driver not yet connected to
stepgen#2, the noise is back, with a vengeance.

I have done everything I can to reduce the noise in terms of a central
single point ground. So I just broke down and bought an assortment of
clamp-on ferrite chokes. I have now rigged up the minmax module,
watching the encoder velocity times 60 so I get rpms, and rigged the
flood button to serve as a thru or freeze the mins and maxes. Even with
the spindle stopped, it takes less than 10 seconds to record rpms in
the - and + territory ranging from -250000 to + readings that force the
halmeter into scientific notation, by +13 for the exponent.
When a burst of noise occurs, the ringing frequency exceeds 100 MHz.

And my best guess is that it hits when all the various switching supplies
hit a switch point at a common time and it adds up but at such a slow
repeat rate my analog scope is too dim to see it. So the gigahertz
digital comes out of its case when I go back out.

When they arrive, a clamp on to help kill longitudinal noise goes on each
motor cable, as close to the drivers output as I can get it, and as many
as there is room for in the run from the ground point to the 7i90 on the
cable from the encoder. The maximum pulse rate into the encoder would be
700 KHz if I try to explode the chuck so in terms of beads, I ought to
be able to cover that from the point where its drain wire is grounded as
it goes past that bolt on its way to the 7i90.. When the door is open,
thats about 14". At least 7 beads will fit on that cable...