Kirk,

You have a big brother of the lathe that followed me home! It literally
followed me on a trailer ;) Your's does look in rough shape.

It is a 1979 Jet 1024P made in Taiwan. It came with a companion, a 1980
Jet JVM-626 benchtop knee mill. While old and definitely used, mine were
very well cared for. I even got a bunch of the paperwork and the
original tools and tool boxes. They both have 1.5hp spindle motors. The
mill came with a 5" riser, 4" Kurt and an 8" rotary table that I plan to
turn into an A-axis. The lathe came with steady rest, 3-jaw, faceplate,
and a spare chuck backing plate.

My plans for the lathe...
- leave the apron on for a bit of extra mass and put ballnut inside
- 3 phase motor and VFD combo
- ditch spindle belt engagement system
- ditch the belt drive counter shaft if possible
- remove the compound
- T-slot plate for top of cross slide to allow gang tooling
- remove power feed/threading gearbox on headstock
- remove all of the threading gear train under the left cover and add
encoder for threading

I have scrounged or found cheap the following parts so far...
- E661 servo motors with encoders
- 30A@60v output transformers
- rectifiers and capacitors
- a couple of almost new 2hp 3 phase motors (free on CL)
- ballscrews for the knee and Y on the mill
- ~750 lbs. chunk of granite to mount the lathe on

Does anyone have a suggestion for somewhere to host the build/conversion
progress and post pictures?

-Todd