On 16 Feb 2018, at 04:11, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Thursday 15 February 2018 22:23:34 Chris Albertson wrote:
>
>> I'm slowing getting set up to test one of those sensors.  I just 3d
>> printed a holder.   The darn thing uses M12x1 threads so I had to
>> order a 12x1 tap 6 weeks from China and the tap arrived.
>
> 12mmx1mm?. Thats pretty fine, way finer than a 1/2 SAE. And close to
> being made of un-obtainium I'd expect.

The x1 thread series is not infrequently used. Although M6 x 1 is probably the
most common, M8, M10, M12 and M14 x 1 are not uncommon. M8 x 1 and M10 x 1
bolts and nuts can both obtained without too much trouble, but not in your
average ironmonger or DIY store.
M12 x 1 and M14 x 1 threads are used on some lathe accessories, although I
think that may be to try to dissuade workshop owners from making matching parts
instead of buying them. There is, for example, a set of commercially available
small ball bearing tailstock centres with replaceable/interchangeable nose
shapes, and that has an M14 x 1 thread. The quality of manufacture is not good,
though, but the M14 x 1 probably dissuades most folks from making the nose
pieces (or the whole thing) in the workshop.
The Unimat PC has an M14 x 1 mandrel nose thread, and the Unimat SL has an M12
x 1 nose thread. Both have been widely sold for quite a long time, and there
are lots of matching accessories like chucks.
Personally, I use the x1 thread series quite often, especially M10 and M12 x 1
which I use to get a fine thread for adjustable fittings.
I have a pair of Dormer E105 M12 x 1 geometric taps which are a joy to use. I
bought them many years ago for a regular batch job, and they were very, very
expensive because, at that time, we were still in the old imperial age and
anything other than metric coarse was jolly difficult to get. This morning, I
see M12 x 1 'standard' hand taps in the MSC catalogue at £28.89 + VAT each,
which is way cheaper than they used to be. Maybe that's the influence of the
Far Eastern low cost versions. Geometric taps in the x1 series are still
difficult to get.
There's an M20 x 1 die in the drawer which I use for one job. Chinese
manufacture, because I could not find another source anywhere.

Marcus