On Sunday 04 March 2018 20:22:47 Chris Albertson wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 2:10 PM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
wrote:
> > On Friday 16 February 2018 06:16:00 Chris Albertson wrote:
> >

> > That I have figured out finally Chris, its moving close to 100 ipm
> > with a 32 to 42 pulley set in the z on my Sheldon but its noisy as
> > can be in the 7 to 20 ipm box. Its noise telegraphs up the keyboard
> > shelf mounted on its mounting bracket. I'd had to put a 1/4" high
> > fence around the edge to keep other stuff from vibrating off
> > including the keyboard itself. Its also running an a few more volts
> > than it was on the mill with its heavy head. 7 more volts IIRC. X is
> > slow, but if I ever get off my duff and make a thin vibration
> > damper, I think that would bring it up to 60 ipm. Its a nema 24, 8
> > wire, wired parallel and getting all a 2m542 can give it at around
> > 43 volts. Neither motor is best match, but what I had, or could get
> > in the crowded area behind the new apron.
>
> Seem like you machine runs into some form of resonance at 7 to 20 ipm.
>   I'd like to see a controllers that can be reconfigured in real time.

So would I, but that would also involve some magic at the transition
point else it would slip at a fractional step without first placing the
motor in its 0 phase position. And that would need to be done
synchronously in lcnc at the same zero phase point.

> for low speeds you might use 1/8 steps them move to /14/ and full
> steps at higher RPM.  It could be built.   But simply going to a
> digital drive might be enough.
>
> I also have an M542.   One of the things I want to do is compare it
> with an A/B test to a DM542.  The newer one with e "D" is digital and
> the manufacturer claims a significant reduction in noise and
> vibration.   They cost about the same.   (I'm making a test jig for
> another project where I measure the strength of 3D printed plastic
> gears.  It will use the same motor size.)

Most, but not all, are 2M542's now a decade old. The only diff I've noted
is the dip switch positions to get a common speed. /8 or /16 but /16 is
generally too fast for the opto's.

Buying more as the need arises, I probably have at least 3 versions in
service now. And once programmed, they Just Work(TM).