Fellas,

Took me two years from the start of the shop building to bringing the machinery back to life.  A short description of the machine in question.  A relatively simple two axis (X & Z) saw beveler that cuts tapered triangles of bamboo out of bamboo flat stock.  Has two saws on the cutting head set up in a "V" (with a slight .003" gap between the two saws at the bottom) that make a single pass cut leaving the finished strip with a full length skinny tab at the bottom so that the strip doesn't get lifted and ground up by the spinning saws.

The strips are held down on a 55" long by 1 1/2" wide table which is the X axis. The saws start cutting from the smallest cross section dimension to the largest cross section dimension in the G Code file.  The problem I'm having and trying to correct is that along the length of the table the top of the table varies anywhere from .003" inches below the median dimension to about .005" above the median dimension to the Z axis's zero. Due to the construction of the machine, there's no real way to flatten the table top to less than + or - a thou or two.

We initially had this discussion on the list a few years ago, but I can't seem to find my notes or emails from the list on possible solutions. What I'm trying to achieve is for the Z axis to compensate for the X axis differences in height every inch along the table. There are sections along the table that are the same height, ie say 10 inches long are all .003 higher than the median, stretches along the table that are all at the median height, and stretches of the table that are below the median height.

There was something Andy talked about that he wrote, but I don't remember what that was. It was something in hal code if I remember correctly. I'm a bit weak on coding stuff for hal, so I may need a little hand holding to implement that kind of stuff.

Thanks,

Mark