On 5 March 2018 at 13:07, Mark <wendt.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm leaning towards lincurve.  In order to utilize that, I've got to upgrade
> linuxcnc to a bit new version.

That's not strictly necessary, the file is a standalone module, you
could just download the comp file and
sudo comp --install lincurve.comp
https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/master/src/hal/components/lincurve.comp
Right-Click the "Raw" button and "Download file as..."

But: To use the external offsets you need to run the experimental
external-offsets branch, and it isn't a standard LinuxCNC version.
You might be able to get it from the buildbot. But you would need
someone else who knows their way around the buildbot to find the .deb
if it exists (I just build from source)

You can use the "offset" HAL component though, so all is not lost. You
can even use both with your 2.5.5 install
http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man9/offset.9.html

> I couldn't find any examples of lincurve in use and the man page is a bit
> thin on how to actually implement it.  Also, the man page mentions x,y
> coordinates.

Those refer to the axes of the imaginary graph paper that lincurve is
drawn on. You can use any input at all, and do anything at all with
the output. This is HAL.
You set the curve up (rather clunkily) in HAL. If X = 0 is nominal and
X = 3" is 5 thou high:
setp lincurve.0.x-val-00 0
setp lincurve.0.y-val-00 0
setp lincurve.0.x-val-01 3
setp lincurve.0.y-val-01 -0.005

and so-on.

You might want to keep the curve definition in a separate HAL file for
convenience.

--
atp
lunatics."