On 03/04/2018 12:53 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
That is something that Andy wrote, called lincurve, see man 9 lincurve
for a basic explanation. What isn't mentioned is that in a motion
scenario, it will probably feed a pair of sum2's, one summing the
command from motion to the machine in order to sum the command from
motion and the correction into the stepgen controlling the x (height)
axis, and a 2nd sum2 with its input from the lincurve set for a gain
of -1, and its feedback from the stepgen summed so that the effect of
the first "offset" is subtracted from the feedback back to motion,
effectively hiding any corrective motions from the motion controller
which would generate either corrections, or following errors.

I did a bit of research yesterday.  lincurve is not in the elder version of linuxcnc I have, v2.5.5.  I'm willing to upgrade to get the utility of lincurve, but I'd like to understand the utility a bit better.  Downloaded the latest linuxcnc and burned the DVD yesterday ever.

The confusing part for me would be that the x input would be derived from
the saws z (length along the trackage) position, and the corresponding y
output controls the error corrections applied to the height motor drive.

I saw it was an x,y thing.  Maybe Andy can help figure how to apply this to an X and a Z axis.

As the man page says, it is a maximum of 16 points long, and I've no clue
if it could be cascaded to more points, however from your description of
the errors, 16 points seems like more than enough to do a considerable
error reduction. The calibration, done with a series of setp's in the
hal file, can be easily corrected for wear error over time.

16 points would probably be overkill so no worries.  I've already got the cal numbers for each inch along the X axis.  We're talking at most about a few thou of deviation from the mean at any given point on the table.

Your ability to measure the error will likely determine how accurate the
correction can be.

Got that nailed down pretty good with repeatable numbers.

Beyond this, Andy can probably explain it better than I can since he
wrote it. My only experience with it was in trying to linearize the
spindle speed control, a miserable failure trying to correct the errors
caused by some bob optoisolators so slow as to need stakes set and a
surveyer called.

<snippage>
But I have some half built furniture to finish first. I've
had another blood clot reminder that I am on the downhill side of life,
and I do want to get them done before I miss roll call. So my warfarin
dose is back up...

Alone ATM, the missus is in the shop with a broken leg, possible cast
removal in May. Osteoporosis etc, to go with the COPD. She did that the
night before I was scheduled to have a sore leg looked at. The
ultrasound tech called the ER, and they kept me for 6 days, pouring in
the heperin. Its better, but I've been instructed to get the hell out of
this chair every 30 minutes.

Hope you and the Missus are mending.  Best wishes.

Cheers,
Mark