My plan is to find a 2HP 240VAC 3 phase motor and add an encoder.  Then use
one of my STMBL AC Servo Drives to run it.  I haven't yet decided how I will
control the speed from LinuxCNC or BBB Machinekit.  So far I've only had
experience with my 3 phase Harmonic Drive and the STMBL but it's step/dir.
The STMBL is a product that has potential.

John