On Wednesday 11 April 2018 02:01:07 David Berndt wrote:

> Wondering if anyone had any preference/experience/advise to share with
> single phase capable larger servos. I'm looking at an application for
> a 3 to 5hp motor with a vfd, but if I could just get a servo to fill
> in that'd be nice. Gear reduction will be required, but something with
> more torque, needing less reduction will make things easier.Say
> ~500rpm as a goal maximum output.
>
> I see things like Fanuc red cap servos (ai series? pulsecoder encoder)
> 2.5kw kicking around ebay. Driving something like that would seem to
> be the challenge?
>
> Thoughts? Suggestions? Previous experience?
>
> Dave

The only comment I might make is that vfd's have a minimum usable speed
they can drive a std "induction" motor, due to the current levels
involved when trying to develop sufficient torque, causing ohmic heating
in the motors windings, unless the motor has a hard armature, one
permanently magnetized which in effect makes it a stepper. They are
made, but my impression is that transferring the ownership is costly.

I've no clue where one could find a "slow-syn" of such a horsepower
rating. But I'd suspect you would wind up using a honking big one.
Rather than horsepower in such a case, I think you should be looking at
stall torque instead.

At my place, with a 1 horse 3 phase and a cheap vfd, I have a minimum hz
shutdown at 10hz. And the motor is pretty warm in 15 minutes, but most
lathe operations don't take that long. With the backgear engaged, thats
less than 20 rpm at the chuck. But its not stopped, and its not a
positioning servo. It may be the red cap is the answer, but I've zero
experience with them.