On Thursday 12 April 2018 00:38:11 Jon Elson wrote:

> On 04/11/2018 01:01 AM, David Berndt wrote:
> > Wondering if anyone had any preference/experience/advise
> > to share with single phase capable larger servos. I'm
> > looking at an application for a 3 to 5hp motor with a vfd,
> > but if I could just get a servo to fill in that'd be nice.
> > Gear reduction will be required, but something with more
> > torque, needing less reduction will make things easier.Say
> > ~500rpm as a goal maximum output.
> >
> > I see things like Fanuc red cap servos (ai series?
> > pulsecoder encoder) 2.5kw kicking around ebay. Driving
> > something like that would seem to be the challenge?
>
> Well, I have used the Fanuc "Red Cap" motors.  The motors
> are awesome.  The encoders are proprietary, but I (Pico
> Systems)  have converters that handle most types, and give
> standard quadrature plus Hall signals.
> My brushless PWM servo amps will handle motors up to about 2
> Hp, but a number of other servo amp makers can handle larger
> motors once the encoder signals are converted to
> industry-compatible signals.
>
> Jon

I get a better figure than that out of your servo amp Jon. At its max
volts and peak current, I get nominally 4.25 hp, so with the right power
supply, the 3.5 hp treadmill motor could do it, and if a way to lock the
fan to the shaft can be found, it should be able to do it going both
ways. With nearly double the motors rated voltage, and plenty of filter
caps in the psu, peaks of 7 hp or more should be available. But it will
need a soft start when turning on the psu else it will clear a 30 amp
breaker. BTDT. Sorta sick bird according to my elderly copy of the
NEC.. :( But I haven't cleared the 20 in that branch since I put in the
softstart.