On Wed, Apr 11, 2018, at 3:08 PM, John Kasunich wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 11, 2018, at 10:30 AM, David Berndt wrote:

> > I'm looking to output about 1000lbf in a linear direction via a
> > crank/slider or ballscrew

> You don't mention the stroke length.  Are you moving a few inches in a
> fraction of a second, or several meters over several seconds?

On further thought...

Ballscrew requires unreasonably high RPM.

Crank is very non-linear, and has major problems as stroke exceeds a couple
inches - longer stroke means longer crank which means more and more torque is
required.  You never use more than a half-revolution of the crank, so some
serious reduction will be needed between motor and crank.

Have you considered roller chain?  Keep the sprocket size small so the torque
doesn't get crazy high, but you can use multiple revolutions of the sprocket to
cover an unlimited stroke.  Still going to require a gearbox; for a 1000 lbf
load you will need a few thousand in-lbs  (few hundred ft-lbs) of torque, which
is a LOT for any motor.

Interesting engineering problem to be sure.

--
  John Kasunich
  jmkasun...@fastmail.fm