On Tuesday 08 May 2018 18:58:53 andy pugh wrote:

> On 8 May 2018 at 14:27, John Kasunich <jmkasun...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> > Which cables have a braided shield?  The ones taking DC power from
> > the power supply to the drives?
> >
> > There's nothing magic about those cables - replace them with two
> > suitably sized single-core wires.
>
> I know there is nothing magic, they are just some 3-core mains wire
> that I had. (Multiflex SY). In fact I am pretty sure the braid is only
> really meant for mechanical protection.
>
> > Is your drive DC supply floating (transformer) or rectified mains?
>
> Rectified mains.
>
> > If such a PE terminal exists, I would run the a PE lead from each
> > motor frame tightly bundled or twisted with the motor power leads
> > and back to the drive PE.  (If the drive doesn't have a PE, I would
> > make one using a pair of 0.1uF or so film caps with suitable voltage
> > and safety ratings.)  That provides a low inductance path for common
> > mode current to return from motor frame to drive DC bus.  The PE
> > terminals of each drive could be connected to a common control
> > chassis near the drives.  The ferrite beads around the DC bus
> > connections to the common power supply would encourage common mode
> > currents to stay in each drive/motor loop instead of wandering off
> > towards the supply and the other drives.
>
> There is no PE terminal on the STBL, so I have the STMBL on DIN rail,
> and the motor earth cable (from the M23 connector) is connected to an
> earthing block on that DIN rail.
> Actually, at the moment, the earth wire isn't connected, I
> disconnnected it to put the drive outside the machine as one of my
> experiments. I intend to se if connecting makes things worse.
> But I had a working machine and parts to be finished, so I stopped
> experimenting and started machining.
>
> I will try what PCW suggests first (because it is easy) then if that
> doesn't work I will look at this more scientific approach.
>
> > Are your motor leads shielded?  That shield can DEFINITELY be
> > counterproductive, since it acts as additional
> > "motor-lead-to-ground" capacitance.
>
> No, the motor wires are not shielded. I thought that they were, but
> inspection shows otherwise.

All my motor cables are twisted and shielded, usually quad core, with
each motor pair being one wire and the one diametrically opposite, a
variation use of the star-quad microphone cable. It totally rejects any
noise source it may go by when actually used for a mic cable. But its
just a hair light for motor cable, as it generates a just barely
detectable heat rise. 24 to 26 gauge, so there is a bit of loss when the
motor is amp'd up for strong performance, more than say 3.4 amps/coil.

Not saying this is demanded, but its a data point that has worked fairly
well here.