I looked at the unit.   It seems like a good idea.  It uses inputs from
both the motor's shaft encoders and another encoder on the object that is
being moved, like a linear encoder on the table.

Question:  Let's say I wanted to do this myself.   Is there a method that
"everyone" in the machine tool industry uses for combining the reading of
multiple encoders?  If not it seems like the perfect application for a
Kalman filter.

But maybe you don't combine them but use the linear DRO for position loop
and the motor shaft encoders for velocity.

This is a common problem I think with robot arms.  The joint has an angle
sensor but the motor has a shaft encoder.   So the control loops might be
nested.

It reminds my the old saying the "A man with a watch knows what time it is,
a man with two watches is never sure of the time."

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 7:33 PM, jeremy youngs <jcyoung...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have no experience, I do have a next victim for conversion, a 10*50 comet
> knee mill. It has Sony scales on it , I will attempt to read them with this
> message card once I get there, if they prove good I'm going to try a pair
> of these , eBay item number
> 322393653446
> The beauty of it is it closes the loop and tracks the table, without
> backlash . Pretty slick I think.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California