Sorry, Chris, I get a "Not Found"-Error with your caltech link without any further comment.
Peter

Am 22.05.2018 um 18:10 schrieb Chris Albertson:
I just got a copy of "Feedback Systems - An Introduction for
Scientists and Engineers, Karl Johan °Aström and Richard M. Murray"

The book is FREE and pdf format at http://www.cds.caltech.edu/∼murray/amwiki

It is an actual set book that seem to be exactly what anyone working
in this field needs to know.  I'd say it is not is mathematically
oriented as a real university control theory book and certainly well
above the hobby level.  It assume some know age of Calculus but not a
lot.  Pretty much what the title says.   But it covers feedback, not
just motion control. so things like op-amps are covered.   But you
need to know that to if designing control circuits

I'm using stepper motors but already have DRO scales.   It seems that
I should be able to combine open loop counting with closed loop linear
sensors.

Suggestion above were good, thanks, because they contain a solution I
had not thought of, drive "I" with different data than "PD"