Swap out the HD?   No. Yo can install quite a few copies of Linux+EMC on
one drive then chose which to boot from the boot menu.  THIS is the safest
 way to upgrade a running system:  Make multiple partitions.

Then it is easy to copy from the old system, you boot the new one and mount
the old system read-only and copy from it.

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 6:18 PM Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com> wrote:

> On 08/23/2018 08:41 AM, Ed wrote:
> > I have a lathe that is running 2.5.4 and runs well.
> >
> > I get offers from Update Manager to do an update. Can this
> > be any danger to operation or to any of the ini or hal
> > files or operation?
> >
> > My paranoid gene tells me to ask.
> >
> Your paranoia is GOOD!  I would not update the system.  If
> you want to check out the newer version,
> at the VERY LEAST, just swap out the hard drive, and install
> a completely new system from the ISO.
> If the computer is pretty old, it might be time to update
> the hardware as well.
> You can copy over your config file set and machining
> programs from backups, or using whatever removable media you
> have available.  Most likely, you will have to make some
> small adjustments to your configs files to make them work on
> the latest LinuxCNC version.  The release notes usually
> describe what needs to be done accurately.
>
> This is the safest way to do things.
>
> Jon

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California