THIS is the safest
 way to upgrade a running system:  Make multiple partitions.

No, that's definitely not the safest way.  Jon's right.  Swap hard drives.
You can't screw up something that's not plugged in!

If you don't want to do that, then at least image the drive to another device,
like a USB drive, then unplug the drive and put it in a safe place.

Been there, done that.

Dave