I've been working with CANopen for the last 20 years or so and with CAN from
1992.  Microchip has a CANopen slave stack that you look at although it's
optimized for space and speed which means it's not optimized for readability.

CANopen isn't really great a real time due to the arbitration CSMA/CR approach.
 But having said that I've written programs that turn both CANopen DC Servos
and get feedback from Absolute encoders.  Also ran a small CANopen Step Servo a
while ago and pulled data from inclinometers.

For more hard real time applications the MilCAN protocol is more ideal because
all the messages are synchronized to SYNC FLAG messages and the arbitration is
limited to within a SYNC FLAG period avoiding jitter on messages.  But there's
pretty well nothing available commercially for MilCAN unfortunately.

Where CAN bus systems really excel in automation is for things like tool
changers and part loaders/unloaders, control of coolant and other devices etc.

Still one of the best books on CANopen is this one.  Looks like it's back in
print too.  I've used it to create a master CANopen Stack.
https://www.canopenbook.com/

John Dammeyer
www.autoartisans.com